1st Gas Engineers Ltd Information for Landlords 

1st Gas safe in your home installer pledge

Coronavirus recommendations for Landlords: 

Landlords have a duty of care to their tenants. This is a legal duty to repair and maintain gas pipework, flues and appliances in a safe condition, to ensure an annual gas safety check on each appliance and flue and to keep a record of each safety check. 
If you are unable to gain access to the property due to tenants self-isolating or if you are unable to book a registered gas engineer to carry out the work due to a shortage of available engineers, you will be expected to show that you took reasonable steps to comply with the law. This will need to include records of communication with the tenant and details of your engineers attempts to gain access. You should seek to arrange the safety check as soon as all parties are available. 
If you anticipate difficulties in gaining access as the COVID-19 situation continues, you have the flexibility to carry out annual gas safety checks two months before the deadline date. Landlords can have the annual gas safety checks at their properties carried out any time from 10 to 12 calendar months after the previous check and still retain the original deadline date as if the check had been carried out exactly 12 months after the previous check. 
We recommend that you arrange your annual gas safety checks as early as possible. This will allow tenants time to self-isolate (in line with current guidelines) should they need to and it will also allow for gas engineers being unavailable due to illness. The two-month period to carry out annual gas safety checks should provide adequate resilience in most situations. 
By law Landlords must: 
Ensure gas pipework is maintained and repaired, flues and appliances are in a safe condition 
Ensure a gas safety check on all gas appliances and flue is carried out annually. Tenants can report Landlords to HSE if this is not carried out, so it's important to remember!  
Keep a record of each safety check (CP12 Certificate / Landlord's Gas Safety Certificate) until 2 further checks have taken place 
Make sure all checks, repairs and installations are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer 
Issue a copy of the gas safety check (CP12 Certificate / Landlord's Gas Safety record) to your tenants within 28 days of the check or to any new tenant before they move in 
Ensure all gas equipment (including any appliance left by a previous tenant) is safe or otherwise removed before re-letting 
Failure to maintain gas appliances could result in loss of life. 
You can face imprisonment or be fined up to £20,000 or both, for each offence. If the case reaches Crown Court the maximum penalty may be imprisonment or an unlimited fine, or both. 
Before any gas work is carried out always check the engineer is qualified to carry out the work that needs doing e.g. natural gas, domestic boiler. You can find this information out by visiting the Gas Safe Register website or by checking the engineer's Gas safe ID card. Encourage your tenants to also check the card when they arrive at the property. 
You should not assume that the gas safety check meets the safety check requirements, or that a safety check, on its own, will be enough to provide effective maintenance. 
Ask for advice from your engineer when necessary. Gas appliances owned by your tenant are not covered. Neither are flues/chimneys that are solely connected to an appliance owned by the tenant. 
Our Boiler Cover offers an excellent service and affordable prices to keep your boilers in safe working order and working efficiently. 
Contact us for a free no obligation quotation. 
Gas Safe logo
Need Advice? 
01604 670549 
Mon-Fri 8am-6pm 
Sat 8am-12.00pm 
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings